Open June 27 - August 31, 2017
Tuesdays - Wednesdays - Thursdays from 1 - 5pm
Admission: $3 for Adults | $2.50 for Students & Seniors
(Price includes admission to the Museum & Archives)
The Allan Macpherson House, sitting proudly along the banks of the Napanee River since 1826, eagerly awaits your visit. The building now serves as additional gallery space for the Lennox & Addington Museum & Archives and is open for tours during the summer months.
The House hosts regular heritage workshops and demonstrations.The building and grounds also provide an ideal setting for outdoor musical concerts and theatrical performances.
A Brief History of the Allan Macpherson House
Half-cousin to first Canadian Prime Minister Sir John A. Macdonald, Allan Macpherson operated the grist and saw mills at Napanee Falls starting in 1818. For almost three decades, Macpherson was one of Lennox and Addington’s most civic-minded and politically active entrepreneurs. He created fine-quality flour shipped to Montreal and England and became Postmaster at Napanee in 1820.
Tour Macpherson’s gentry-inspired house, built north of Napanee Falls; it remained in the family until 1896, long after he’d returned to Kingston. In 1962, the Lennox and Addington Historical Society began a visionary labour of love to restore this home to its 19th century character.
True to its roots, the Macpherson House has been restored to its original splendour both inside and out. The Macpherson House now functions as additional gallery space for the Lennox & Addington Museum & Archives.